Friday, July 27, 2012

Happy, unhappy

Virtuous happiness issues its arduous demands. Happiness on the cheap is repellent and repugnant. Heron can do that, as can orgies (or any sort). Full bodied happiness is steeped in sorry, grief, and lament. It refuses to despair, which is giving up on the God of hope and life. Yet happiness oblivious to pain (human an animal) is cruel, self-centered, and enervating. Happiness worth its stinging salt, slogs through groans, moans, tears, quakes, fear panic, and unbidden but inevitable sufferings.  Happiness looks behind (to the Cross of Christ); it looks ahead (to the return of Christ); it looks within (to Christ with, if...he resident in the soul by regenerating grace); it looks above to Christ on his resplendent Throne; it looks below to the everlasting arms. It listens for the laugh of love, but not without hearing the searing wail of woes untold and uncounted. Love is, love is as strong as death--and stronger still. That thick red blood triumphs over its wounds--but that blood (of Christ, creature, and creation. Thus, I am a against happiness, for happiness, under God.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to write as I too suffer from chronic pain-Trigeminal Neuralgia and back pain severe enough to put me in a wheelchair. I'm 33 and decided to write a book about my pain and how to help others feeling the weight of such a disease. I appreciate blog very much :) here is the info about my book:
    It's called Don't Waste Your pain. I would love for you to let me know what you think of it!
    Take care,
    Myndi Orr

    www.dontwasteyourpainthebook.com

    ReplyDelete