Monday, November 8, 2010

From The Book of Common Prayer

For Recovery from Sickness

O God, the strength of the weak and the comfort of sufferers: Mercifully accept our prayers, and grant to your servant N. the help of your power, thathis sickness may be turned into health, and our sorrow into joy; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

or this

O God of heavenly powers, by the might of your command you drive away from our bodies all sickness and all infirmity: Be present in your goodness with your servant N., that his weakness may be banished and his strength restored; and that, his health being renewed, he may bless your holy Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. As Advent begins tomorrow, I too found myself drawn back to the beautiful, poetic language of the Book of Common Prayer.

    Advent is a time to reflect on Jesus' coming and his coming again in glory. It must be especially hard for you to be losing your mother while others are busy with Christmas preparation.

    During the homily tonight, my mind drifted off and I began thinking about the second coming in terms of coming into our hearts anew. The call to "wake up" is also a call to be awake to the presence of Christ in our hearts.

    Your mom is preparing to experience things we can't even imagine. Eye has not seen, ear has not heard what God has ready for those who love him.

    Simply stand in the river of her pain and yours. The only way past this difficult experience is to go through it.

    I will pray for you and your mother. I lost my mom to cancer when I was 20. Although she never saw my children or my grandchildren, I still feel her presnce with me. She died in 1972. Not a day passes that she is not in my thoughts. In 2003, I had a near death encounter with systemic lupus, my own chronic illness. I never doubted that she was in heaven interceding on my behalf.

    ReplyDelete