Friday, January 16, 2009

Coping with the Substandard

6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your fellow believers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. 10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 11 To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen. 10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 11 To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen. --1 Peter 5:6-9

When health slips, everything else slips with it. Things don't get done, or get done poorly. Plans are laid aside; new plans take up time, but must be done: doctor visits, infusions, tests, etc. The break down of the body also means the break down of one's personal world (umwelt). One has to cope with the substandard for an indeterminate or indefinite period of time. But how?

We can focus on eternal things such as our relationship to God and others. We can try to do a few things well and not resent all we are not doing well, not doing it all, or could be doing. We can be thankful for what we have taken for granted. We can let friends serve us in new ways and make new friends who are eager to serve us. We can learn more of desperation for God.

We can wait on the Lord and hope and pray and build up our faith for restoration, of both body and soul. We can make our peace with the substandard--for now. We can resist the dark thoughts driven into us by the devil. We can grow in grace and truth--in the mess.

5 comments:

  1. So, i came upon your blog entry tonight after having read your thank you letter to Edith Schaeffer, it was a heart-felt thanks that i strongly resounded with. Previous to my reading it, i'd been wrestling with God over my frustration with another flair-up of fibromyalgia and the limitations having it brings...and the "unfairness" i can struggle with feeling. Your words were yet another voice in God gently reminding me what's true. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God gives us little "social security," but does give us "eternal security" if we come to Him on his terms by His grace. But this security is not passive, but active: the "perseverance of the saints," as we Calvinists say. Resist the devil; submit to God (James).

    ReplyDelete
  3. As my strenght and energy diminish with the years, to let people (family, friends, strangers) help me is the most difficult. I've always been so fiercely, proudly self-sufficient. I was the helper, the doer, the organizer. Now, in high winds, I can hardly cross a street corner with my cane, unless a stranger holds my arm. And, to my amazement, I never need to ask. Always a younger person sees me and offers. When we reach the other side safely, I can now say, "I thank God for you. And also your mother."

    Gratitude didn't come easily. There was such a sense of failure, of humiliation. I had to learn to accept my very visible needs in many areas. And also that people who help often do things differently than my own "perfect" way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those posts are so very helpful to me, and the friends with whom I'm sharing them. Many thanks, with daily prayers for you and your wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jesus said it was more blessed to give than to receive; yet, when we receive by letting others give to us, they receive the blessing of giving. If we never let others give, we miss giving them that blessing!

    ReplyDelete