Friday, November 4, 2011
How to Help: Nine Ideas
Most of us have no idea how to help the chronically ill. Here are a few suggestions:
1. Do not constantly ask her how she feels. She feels awful all the time, and would rather not talk about it much.
2. Do not say, "Are you feeling better?" That puts pressure on her.
3. Do not treat her as a terminal patient, but as a wounded human being.
4. Do not ignore her, but think through ways to bring some faith, hope, and love into her life.
5. Pray for wisdom for all involved in her life.
6. Repent when you do the wrong thing and bring further misery into her life. How many times I have done this...
7. Do small things to help, such as giving flowers, sending cards, giving hugs (if wanted and if they do not hurt the person).
8. Don't assume you know what helps. Ask her.
9. Fast and pray for her healing. Be ready to suffer yourself in so doing.